07 November 2009

Weekend Crocker- Tofu

I've taken a shining to tofu at the local mongolian bbq joint. I started having a craving for it this week but I didn't have anyone to drag along there. I decided it was time to figure out how to make some of this shit at home. I scoured the internet for tips and hit the local mondomart for the fixins. I thought I'd share one of the most kick ass recipes of all time. I know tofu sounds like ass but for some reason this was really good. It hasn't stuck with me long to keep me full but hell, it was a fat free dinner. Keep and open mind and give it a try!

AC's Tofu Yum Yum

First up, the tofu prep:

Take a block (12 oz) of extra firm tofu and place it between a pile of paper towels. Throw a plate on top of it and add some weights like can goods. Let it sit for about a half hour to get some of the excess water out. Then cut it up into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes. Throw them in a gladware bowl with a lid. Next up is the sauce:

Worechester Sauce
Liquid smoke
Few shots of Tabasco
Korean BBQ Sauce
Soy Sauce

Throw enough if to coat well and go heavier on the soy sauce. Lid up and shake to coat. Let this sit for about an hour to soak in all the salty goodness.

After an hour, make some lo mien noodles according to the directions on the package. When these are done cooking, put a large fry pan on the hot burner. Time to add the veggie part. Use whatever you'd like that goes with a stir fry. I just used baby corn and water chestnuts. Throw the vegetables into the hot pan and then dump the whole tofu bowl in. Cook gently til everything is heated through. You could add the noodles if you'd like at this point. I kept mine separate.

Plate up and garnish with bamboo charcoal sesame seeds and chow mien noodles. Eating with chops sticks is optional but more fun. Add a glass of white wine to make the meal complete.

I tell ya, give it a try. You'd be surprised.

No comments: