28 November 2009

Holiday Left Overs!

Right now I'm swimming in left over holiday fun. First up is being sicks as shit. My throat finally swelled up so much yesterday that I went into urgent care. I could barely swallow liquids and I was pissy as fuck. I'd already been taking antibiotics for 4 days and was just getting worse. That trip won me some new antibiotics and a pack of steroids to get the swelling down. That's like a Christmas present all of its own. About 6 hours after the first dose I was climbing the walls. I pulled out all the Christmas decorations and went to town on this shit hole. Now it's a festive shit hole! I've never decorated this house this much. I've been a grinch for a few years and the way things have changed this year, I'm home more and can put more time into my casa. I've just gotta haul the totes back down stairs and I will be done :)

Work woke me up bright and early. I went in. I came home. I went to sleep. And I slept some more. I'm almost ready to go back to bed now.

I did make the best leftover dinner today. I'm going to share because it's nontraditional and ooohhh so good!

Turkey Bacon Stromboli

1- 1 1/2 cups left over turkey cut into bite size pieces or smaller
6 slices of bacon
1 small onion finely chopped
6 slices of cheese (deli sliced kind, whatever flavor you like)
1 loaf of frozen bread dough
1 egg for egg wash

Thaw the bread dough on the counter for about 3 hours. Make sure it is covered with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray.

Fry the bacon in a skillet and remove to paper towels to drain. Add the finely sliced onion and cook until golden and soft. Remove and put in a bowl. Crumble the bacon. Make sure the turkey is cut up. Make the egg wash by beating 1 egg with a little cold water.

Spray a cookie sheet with cookie spray and put the bread dough on it. Use your hands to spread the dough out to almost the whole size of the pan. Make sure it is thin but not too thin that it will create holes.

On one half of the dough, put down the onions, turkey, bacon and then top with the 6 slices of cheese. Use the egg wash on the edges of the dough and then fold the dough over the top. Press the edges firmly together to seal. You may use a fork to press them together to get a good fit. Brush the whole outside of with the egg wash. You may sprinkle poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or parmesan cheese on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. The outside will be a golden brown when it is done. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before slicing it into pieces. Serve with left over cranberry sauce for dipping or ranch dressing would work awesome too.

If you have left over cheese from the cheese and sausage tray, you can use that instead of the 6 slices of cheese. Just cover the fillings with however many pieces it takes and make sure to make it a couple of layers for extra cheesiness :)

The train just hit me again. I need to go make love to some Nyquil and call it a day.....

No comments: